We have all heard anti inflammatory is the way to go. To avoid x or y to prevent ___. There is so much different information out there how do you know what is right? It can become overwhelming as you start to read it all and try to implement or try different things. Once you hear about one new thing then there is another. Who is with me on this?!
I am going to make it a little easier for you. I have done alot of the research so I am going to lay out the basics. I like lament terms personally so if you are like me in that way then this will help!
First off—- What exactly does anti inflammatory mean?
Lets back up first then make our way to that…. The definition of inflammation “is a localized physical condition in which part of the body becomes reddened, swollen, hot, and often painful, especially as a reaction to injury or infection”. (1) So when you think of it as our bodies defense mechanism meaning, when our immune systems think there is something harmful so it ups its defenses (our white blood cells, immune cells and cytokines). This is suppose to happen, however these things can go into overdrive, and that is where auto immune conditions come into play. For example Rheumatoid Arthritis- the immune system is attacking joints based on different factors putting up defenses to those areas. This happens when things like toxins, or medicines that build up over time in our liver, or having leaky gut occur and harmful substances are in our body for an extended period of time. This would be referred to as chronic inflammation. On the other end of the spectrum though when you get red after your fall or eat something with too much histamine and react by allergies that in turn is an acute inflammation response.
Hopefully that helps somewhat!?
So WHY do we want to choose Anti Inflammatory Foods?
Alot of foods I grew up on like, chips, cookies, boxed meals, or really anything boxed for that matter have artificial preservatives and toxic like chemicals in them (I.E. Corn Oil, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sodium Benzonate, Artificial Colors and Sweeteners) these things have in some way been linked to cancer, diabetes, thyroid and metabolic damage, etc. So think of what these things are doing to your body when you ingest them. We weren’t made to process this fake stuff… so hello immune response, and if you consume them frequently hello chronic response.
Now this isn’t to say that only foods are the problem for inflammation, our environments such as mold, dust, gasoline and other fumes in the air and then the metals in the tap water we drink and use…. they all play a part too.
We want to add things to our diets and lifestyles that help us. That make us thrive. Our bodies were built for that believe it or not. Many Anti Inflammatory Foods listed below have super antioxidant, vitamin, mineral and nutritional properties that can help combat these harmful pathogens and toxins weve allowed ourselves to have over the years.
The Anti Inflammatory Food List
Eating the right foods that our bodies were made for can help us heal! Foods actually do have healing properties when eaten without any thing like preservatives or chemicals added to them. The ones listed below are just a starting point, but some key things to look for when going to the grocery store.
Some staples to look for or start adding to your diet are:
- Turmeric – a great spice that contains one of the best known things for inflammation curcumin. Curcumin is well known for fighting inflammation within the body. Now just sprinkling a little on your food isn’t going to cut it though. You need it mixed with black pepper and honestly the best is to take it in supplement form.
- Vegetables – Like broccoli, cauliflower and brussels are great for some of their anti inflammatory compounds.
- Organic Leafy Greens – These are rich in antioxidants and polyphenols which are protective compounds (think spinach, kale, collards)
- Organic Cherries and other dark colored berries
- Organic Wild BlueBerries – I love these. These have 2x the antioxidants of normal blueberries. I add them to my smoothie every morning
- Organic Meats/ Poultry/ Fish/ Eggs – be sure to read where they originated from. Whether they were fed corn or soy as many “cage free” varieties are still fed these things which can in turn pass it to us when we ingest it. (For fish look for Wild Caught) The EPA and DHA in fish like salmon and mackerel are great for helping combat inflammation as well.
- Olive oil – (the best being extra virgin for anti inflammatory effects) – contain something called oleocanthal which is shown to have similar effects like taking ibuprofen.
- Avocados – it is basically a superfood as far as I know lol. I love them personally but so does my body. They are packed with magnesium and fiber and healthy monounsaturated fats as well as other things that have been shown to help fight cancer risk.
Ok so what is the takeaway here?
Well for starters lets focus on incorporating some of the foods listed above into our diets. Along with that try to start eliminating or cutting back on soda, burgers, fries, anything with words you cant pronounce on the label.
Is that doable?? I think so!
Another option is to add in some good for you vitamins and whole minerals daily, You can check out some of my favorites here MY FAVORITES . I personally use the Daily Nutritional Support Daily with Wild Blueberries and Spinach. It is a great way to start the day!
As always if you have ANY questions please don’t hesitate to contact me!
*This page may include links with partners that I could receive commissions on.*
Yallllll these guys are amazing.
No seriously I have not had a complaint yet. Now I am NOT claiming to have come up with these on my own. That comes from paleorunningmama.com.
Here is the original recipe – /Almond Butter Fudge
I changed mine up a bit to not include any nuts so here is what I did:
- For bottom
- 1.5 cups of dark chocolate morsels ( I use dairy free like Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 cup of sunflower butter
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil melted
- Melt chocolate in pan on stove and then add in other ingredients and stir continuously until melted through. Let cool slightly then transfer to a 8×8 or larger pan lined with parchment paper and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- For top
- Mix 1 1/4 cup sunflower butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 5 tbsp of raw honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- Smooth top layer over bottom in pan and let cool in fridge for 2 + hours before serving.
- Remove from pan still on parchment paper and then slice into squares and serve. Keep refrigerated if not using
These things have gotten rave reviews and hopefully you think the same. Feel free to swap out the sunflower butter for any you like and the chocolate chips as well.
Stay in the know! – Sign up here —
Short- Sweet and To the Point- Christmas and holiday gift buying (if you are like me and gifts are NOT your love language) then it can be hard!! One thing I am good at though…… getting health and wellness gifts 🙂
I complied a list of some of the best for this year so if you have someone in your life that is a fitness, health and wellness fanatic hopefully these help make your gift buying a little easier.
You will find everything from smart watches to clothing to supplements below. Enjoy 🙂
Top 20 Fitness and Health Gifts for 2019
1- Apple Watch – https://amzn.to/38fTJIZ
- You can make calls, listen to podcasts, get up to the minute heart rate data, ECG data, its waterproof, track workouts, and MANY MANY other things. This is the newest version but I have a 4 and it is something I really cannot live without now.
- For those who are anti apple…… (my husband) then I recommend The Galaxy Smart Watch https://amzn.to/2OSVfsR
2- Sonic Handheld Percussion MassageGun – https://amzn.to/345G8AG
- This is the new way to release muscle tension and get rid of knots and other stiffness post workout and from daily life stresses. I promise the pain hurts so good and no foam roller is going to get you this good.
– I love a good back and neck massage. This adds heat to the mix too to help relax the muscles. Releasing tension and stress and implementing more recovery into ALL of our lives is something we ALL need more of. I definitely recommend this.
- Stay hydrated! Keeping a water bottle on hand that is NOT plastic and WILL keep your water at the temperature you want is a WIN. These are great as they contain a large amount without being bulky and over bearing for day to day use.
- Not sure if I really need to elaborate here. If you know me you KNOW I love my Liquid IV and use it DAILY. It really helps get hydration to the cells in a more efficient way than other hydration drinks. It also is not loaded with sugars and fake ingredients like some are. You can feel good about what you are adding to your water. No matter if you are just drinking it day to day for health, post a little bit too many drinks, or if you are sick this stuff is my JAM 🙂
6- Collagen Peptides – https://amzn.to/2PrhCoi
- Collagen is something we all should be adding into our diets. I believe this for reason of not only gut support but skin elasticity and helping it stay plump if you will. It also helps with joint health. I have been using this brand for a long time and love their business and ingredient profile. If you are looking for something for someone who could benefit from this then give them a try!
- Truth – this is on my list this year. My husband is about ready to throw my other one out the window as it has gotten old and LOUD. Ninja brand has a great reputation and is proven to be of great quality for the price. If you or whom ever you are looking for is into smoothies or juices or cooking then this is a GREAT option.
- You may be wondering why I included this with some what throwing it under the bus with the hypervolt option at #2….. but I get it, that hypervolt aint cheap and if you are looking for something more affordable for recovery then this is your best option. This is a great quality and will get the job done for now ;).
- For the yoga or fitness girl in your life. These are super cute, flattering AND comfy!
- Take this from class or the gym to out on the town. These are definitely in this season love them!
Black and Gold Nikes
- These are some of my favorite nikes for running as I always need more support with my high arches. Shop these or any others here and save at checkout!
12- Exfoliating Sugar Cubes – https://amzn.to/38nPk6T
- I fell in love with these and the smell. They are great for the winter and when you are someone who sweats alot and needs to take care of their skin then these are great!
- For the yogi in your life. This is a great quality and fan fave from all the yogi’s I know 🙂
14- Foot massager – https://amzn.to/2Yw4Hp6
- Not going to lie I fell in LOVE with this thing when I got to use one a few months ago. It feels like a legit amazing foot massage and you don’t have to worry about the weird
15- Fitness Bag- https://amzn.to/2Pjvz7A
- Cute and stylish- ya gotta put your stuff somewhere right?? 🙂
16 – Headphones- https://amzn.to/38aeaHi
- Favorites and they stay put! Bose is a name you CAN trust!
17- Sweat bands – https://amzn.to/367ZExS
– These are super cute and come in a pack of 8 so your fitness lover can have multiple options. They don’t slip and don’t dig into your scalp either! #Win
18- Socks – https://amzn.to/369qaqm
– Fact – if you workout then you ALWAYS need to socks. No slip and no show are the way to go!
- This is my DAILY and favorite all natural brand. They have no aluminum or harsh chemicals and they WORK! We know the studies out now about deoderant so use the good stuff! Definitely recommend :).
20- Vegan Protein Powder – https://track.equilibriumnutrition.com/SHie
– I use this stuff EVERY DAY in my smoothies. Not only is it loaded with vegan protein but also ALL your daily vitamins and minerals.
And there you have it! My top picks for 2019! I hope they help and have a VERY Happy Holiday Season!!
Stay in the know! – Sign up HERE –
Disclaimer : the products above may provide me with small commissions for sales.