New Fav Smoothie
My Recent Smoothie Obsession :
So no idea why this is my new thing. I go through phases, maybe you do too where you love something then you transition to eating something else (I am talking about food this time lol).
I will get on routine where I eat the same thing for breakfast over and over and then some how be inspired to change it up. This is no different.
If you have followed me at all you know I eat alot of overnight oats. I love the texture and taste of that with fruit, my protein, and nut butter and flax seed, or other seeds etc. Maybe it is the summer time and heat but I recently started having more smoothies – I am talking fully blended (I still want that spoon action though).
You may be familiar with the Fab Four smoothie RD – @bewellwithKelly created for her clients and it went mainstream. Well this is very very similar- but I use my own stuff lol.
I love this smoothie for a few reasons :
Its packed with healthy fiber to keep me fuller longer so no snacking.
I can eat it on the go (sometimes) and if I make it less thick I can totally drink it in the car.
I am getting all of my vitamins needs along with important antioxidants and immune boosting minerals.
I can easily change up the combo and still get the same benefits.
So what is in this thing I am now digging so much??
It consists of a breakdown that is pretty simple:
Some sort of plant based protein or collagen/ bone broth style protein powder (I use my DNS every day!)
- this is great for recovery and muscle and bone health as well as gut health if you are using a bone broth or collagen variety) – side note ALWAYS look at the ingredients if it is loaded with stuff you cannot pronounce then run! Here are some of my favorites.
Some sort of Fruit like a berry 1/4-1/2 cup frozen is preferred
- Berries like strawberries, blueberries and cherries are great because they are low on the glycemic index so they wont spike blood sugar like some can. They are also great for antioxidant health and benefits. Fighting free radicals and even skin!
Greens – about 1 cup (can be frozen or fresh) (anything like spinach, kale, even zucchini works well)
- You know you need your greens (you could also use a greens powder if that is more your jam like this one – however make sure you pay attention to what is in it because the flavors of that plus the smoothie may not exactly um…. taste all that great.
Healthy fat – nut or seed butter or avocado or coconut oil (I alternate between sunflower butter, cashew and avocado)
- We NEED healthy fats. They help support our joints, our digestion and can even help our blood and brain health too. With butters make sure to look at the label, the less sugar and the less added junk the better. You also want to steer away from any canola and even palm oil for some.
Fiber from hemp/flax or chia seeds (also good doses of omega 3’s too!) (love these)
- Chia seeds can give you a crunchier taste and make it a little thicker, hemp and flax are both more nutty and hemp even provides a great plant based protein to the mix. I would aim for 1 TBSP of one of these.
1 scoop of collagen powder (unless you are using it for your protein)
- ( I love primal kitchen foods collagen – you can save with code CANDICECFITNESS at checkout here )
- Collagen is GREAT for our overall health – it supports our joints and ligaments and tendons and can help rebuild the gut lining too. Again like everything else – look at those labels!!
Stevia or natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup
- Natural is always the best bet when it comes to sweeteners, however you still want to be mindful when using honey or maple syrup or something like agave- they are really heavy in natural sugars and too much of a good thing IS possible – aim for a tsp or so.
Milk of preference
- I like milkadamia or califia farms – you can also use a soy or flax or coconut just pay attention so you are not overdoing one thing – like coconut milk then coconut oil, etc.
Overall smoothies like this are a great easy option to get nutrient dense foods in first thing in the morning. To set your day off on the right foot if you will. You should stay fuller longer due to all the fiber too! You can always get creative and add spices like cinnamon or turmeric or even ginger if that is more your jam.
Get your FREE low inflammatory grocery list!
Sign up for my email list to get on top of all the new discounts, offers and stuff going on with Candice C Fitness! Don’t worry this will only be about 1 email a week!!