Best Supplements for Decreasing Inflammation
Inflammation we know stems from stress in some way shape or form to our body. Whether it is internal or external, physical, or mental, stress causes us to be inflamed. We want to find ways to offset it, to help us relax. Although I would always want to go a food first route we cannot guarantee anymore that what we are consuming is 1- without ANY sort of pesticide, chemical, toxin, additive and 2- that we are absorbing it internally as we should.
It would definitely be nice to just be able to eat some foods and absorb all the nutrients we need and get rid of all the stuff we don’t… however our bodies tend to not function that way anymore. After being exposed to numerous toxins and other harmful substances over the years our guts get imbalanced, our livers get backed up and we have things leaking into our immune systems. Not to mention so many of our foods are covered with crap we don’t need to ingest and are bodies do not know what to do with.
That is why supplementing is the next best alternative to help us get to equilibrium and rid ourselves of as much inflammatory substances and triggers as possible. I have come up with the best supplements in my opinion to fight this and included links to my favorites. I do have to say as a disclaimer though, ALWAYS consult a healthcare practitioner prior to starting ANY supplementation guide. These are strictly recommendations I am not prescribing anything :).
Important nutrients we need to fight inflammation :
- Omega 3s – Specifically EPA and DHA. Aim to look for a 2:1 ratio of EPA to DHA on labels. DHA has been shown to reduce inflammatory markers in relation to gut health and EPA has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the blood and nervous system.
- Ginger – can potentially help with reducing inflammation in the digestive tract – like colitis and help with indigestion
- Spirulina – antioxidant found in algae – Helps reduce inflammation and increase immune function
- ALA– Works for metabolism and energy production but also helps reduce inflammation through its antioxidant properties and helping protect cells and restore levels of certain vitamins
- Curcumin – found in turmeric can help reduce inflammation and inflammatory markers it is absorbed best when taken with black pepper.
- Certain Antioxidants
- Vitamin A– helps fight free radicals (beta carotene converts it in our bodies)
- Vitamin B6 – one that we don’t hear of as much, but low levels of this tend to correspond with high levels of c reactive proteins which show inflammation in the body
- Folate – another form of a b vitamin (folic acid) that has been shown to reduce inflammatory markers
- Vitamin C – improves immune function
- Vitamin D- connected to inflammatory conditions and when it is low and helps with weight loss when combined with Calcium
- Vitamin K- helps reduce inflammatory markers
- Vitamin E- reduces inflammation
- CoQ10 – reduces inflammation
- Magnesium – reduces inflammation by decreasing stress, when we are low in magnesium we tend to be high stressed.
- Glutathione- reduces free radical markers
So where should you start?
I wouldn’t recommend just going all in with everything to start. Not to mention with so many options out there it can be hard to find the best ones – if I had to start with just 5 I would start with these –
Omega 3’s –
Or start with a great multi and vegan protein in one
If you still want to focus on the food route that is ALWAYS the best option – you can find the best foods to eat and for which nutrients HERE.
ALWAYS remember if you choose supplementation for things, that you are doing JUST that… SUPPLEMENTING a well balanced diet and lifestyle to get optimum results. 🙂