by Candice Scott | Jul 7, 2020 | Health
I hesitated even sharing this- but I know I should….
I hesitated because of the mental side of shame I have felt this past week along with the physical illness of it.
I hesitated because I feel judged- even by those closest to me.
I hesitated because I am human.
I got sick about 11 days ago. It got worse quick, I got tested, (sat in line in my car for FOUR hours and got tested). It came back positive a few days a later.
I had been around too many people in the days prior. Where did I get it? What did I do to deserve it? I have an autoimmune disease…. what if I end up in the hospital? I have heard it gets progressively worse.
How do i tell my clients? My work? My family? My pregnant best friend I was just with two days ago? Do I tell them? Maybe the test is wrong…. What about my father in law that has diabetes, COPD and heart disease?? I saw him a few days ago. I had a headache that day…. why did I go to dinner if I did??
All of these things were going through my head.
At first I wanted to just believe I had a bad sinus infection. My husband wanted me to just be overreacting – but I knew it was more. We had our nieces staying with us- thankfully I stayed away most of the time and sprayed all the things multiple times a day with medical grade hospital cleaner…. but did that work? I mean they had to fly back to Arizona in a few days what if they get sick or infect others???
The guilt- the questions – the unknown- that is what has been the hardest part.
The physical side of it – The First Days
I started feeling sick in the afternoon – I wanted to just tell myself it was a sinus infection – maybe an RA flare that was making me feel the aches and pains like fevers do. Then I took my temperature. I never run fevers – hell I typically am around 97ish not even 98 but that is for another day…. It read 99.7…. yup something is wrong. So I try to get a virtual appointment to get a test- got one, someone would call me after to schedule the test…. have yet to get that call 12 days later. I saw the next day I could get a free test at a church so i went,,, along with 300 others in their cars. We were literally blocked in- if you wanted to leave it was not happening so you just had to sit….. and wait.
One positive though is I think since I was toward the tail end I got my results quicker, so that Sunday night as we were sitting on the couch I got a text … and Chad instantly moved to the other side of the couch. I then instantly moved into the guest room.
That day I had a migraine from hell, I laid in bed all day – still had the slight fever, and body and muscle aches, but the headache and nausea was the worst part….
On top of all of that now I had to think about the next morning how was I going to tell people? Should I tell people? Of course I should but I was scared.
I told my boss and doctor and everyone I worked with- they were all so kind that was a HUGE blessing. Then I had to tell others – sent messages and emails – lots of “hope you get better soon” but that was it…. then I see mass emails go out and I start to feel like I have the plague, I am the leper but Jesus is no where to be found to heal me in this moment.. but I know he is with me and I am learning something through this.
When my best friend (who is pregnant) said she had to leave the store she was in because she started crying hysterically because of (me) … gut punch is all I could feel. She has every right to be scared I mean hell shes pregnant and we know NOTHING about what this ultimately can do to pregnant women.
Then there are my clients – thank goodness I was not around a lot of them the week prior some were traveling and a lot are still doing virtual. That right there I am thankful for. Still telling them was hard, silence from some but then kindness but then I am also second guessing everything. Feeling guilty because I may be ruining vacations and there Fourth of July’s from unknowns and being around family just because they were around me…. then there is the thought of if they will ever even want to come near me again…. it was all so much on top of feeling like general crap…. no one really talked about this side of it.
Ugh – the headache – it literally makes me not see straight. I felt loopy. I felt dizzy. I felt floaty….. and I have this knot on my forehead too which is weird and it hurts like hell.
But if this is the worst of it- I WILL TAKE IT ALLLLL DAY
That Monday I started having some chest tightness and congestion- that started to worry me, but it never got terrible. I ordered a gazillion things off instacart to help… which they didn’t. The sinus and congestion stuff made me feel sicker, the only thing that seemed to help was peppermint oil and sweating it out through steam. I got vitamin d3 drops and vitamin C powder and started taking a lot of that. Surprisingly it helped.
I couldn’t have coffee anymore it is still even making me nauseas. This makes me very sad lol.
Each day goes on- and thankfully Chad is still ok. Poor guy had his office shut down because of me- so he feels like he has the plague too even though he feels fine. That is killing my super extroverted husband like crazy. Now we are envisioning this coming weekend and the fourth of July. Typically we would be at the lake, but that is surely not happening now.
Come Thursday and Friday we get results that his dad is fine- thank you Jesus! Chad is still waiting on his last two tests he has taken three.
Our friends we were with the weekend before I got sick have now tested positive (three of them) and have the same symptoms as me. Then some have tested negative- so strange as I thought this was so contagious… or are the tests wrong? All these thoughts are annoying. However in a strange way I am thankful these women have it with me even if I may have caught it from them, thankfully we are all generally healthy so it seems to be mild in us.
The Following Weekend – wait I have RA why am I ok?
I got outside in the sun for a little while and OMG it felt SOOOOO good. I cannot even describe how good it felt. And do not worry NO ONE was near me.
I still have the headache. But I am maybe 85% human now.
But what about RA? Aren’t I high risk? I have inflammation….
So my Dr. recommended I get a shot of steroids to help. And I did I think it was Wednesday or Thursday – hell all the days run together. It really did help a decent bit the next day the headache was not as bad and I felt like I could read a book without getting nauseas which made the book nerd in me very happy.
As far as my autoimmune disease- could it be because I have been on hydroxychloriquine for my RA for a while? Could it be because I have been taking ashwagnda and other calming supplements to help decrease cortisol? Who knows – but I am thankful. If I had been diagnosed with this in April I would have been freaking out, but seeing how I feel overall it gives me hope that maybe it is not as bad for everyone (I know some it has hit hard and I am not discrediting that) but in a strange way it gives me hope.
At first – headache, mild fever, aches, pains
Then moved to just a headache and nausea with some stomach upset off and on.
Then some chest tightness and congestion – nothing ever terrible though.
Slight loss of taste and smell around day 6.
Headache and fatigue still present around day 11.
I took Tylenol ( I hate taking it especially because of my liver but it helped the aches and to sleep at night)
I tried Sinus AM and PM stuff from CVS- The PM made me sleep forever (not hating it) the AM made me dizzy and nauseas
I added Vitamin D3 drops and did 5-6 drops 3x a day
I added Vitamin C powder – 1/4 tsp 2x a day in water
I was already on ashwaganda and l theanine for cortisol 2x day
I was already on my ritual vitamins daily
I was already on NAC tabs for my liver 2x a day
I also continued my DNS powder daily
I stopped liquid IV because it was making me nauseas 🙁
I was on hydroxychloriquine for my RA treatment ( I started this about 6 months ago)
I also took my other meds….
(Ps you can find ALL my favorite stuff plus discount codes here.)
Day who knows what…. and I am feeling a little better –
I got tested again. I need two negative tests to get back to life. The Department of Health has said it can come back positive for a month… prayers please it does not. The woman who did my test yesterday I think touched my brain with the swab so if one is going to be positive it will be that one lol.
I went for a walk yesterday and it was not the easiest sadly. My chest felt tight but it was not undoable even in 90 degree plus heat. Now I slowly start trying to workout again. My body is in the worst shape ever and that alone is another stress. I cannot be a trainer and out of shape. But I am not going to go down that rabbit hole. I will be ok. I will be ok. I will be ok. THIS IS TEMPORARY. Right?
Overall I am thankful like I have said. I have a few people I can be with because we have had it together but still I can see how the loneliness can get to people.
I pray none of you reading this get it, and if so get it worse than what I have had. I don’t get this virus or what is happening in our world, but I know something is happening to get our attention. I am changed because of it, I hope you are too in a good way that is.
As always I will keep you updated on any changes- stay healthy yall, wear your masks and don;’t make stupid decisions.
by Candice Scott | Apr 16, 2020 | Lifestyle, Nutrition, Recipes
These are so simple and so yummy!
Right now easy and healthy is what I am all about. Being stuck at home means more cooking but having to do a big task every night and pleasing my picky husband can be a challenge. That is why I am obsessed with these now.
What ya need:
2-3 decent sized zucchini
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
1/4 cup Cassava Flour or Almond Flour
1/2 cup coconut or almond milk – my favorite brand is this
1 TBSP Onion Powder
2 cloves garlic or 1 TBSP garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Add 1/2 cup of milk to another small bowl
Slice zuchinni by cutting off ends then cutting in half and then slicing into fry size strips set aside
Preheat oven to 375 and line a tray with parchment paper
Dip one strip into milk then into dry ingredients to coat then place on tray
Line entire tray then place in oven for 15-20 minutes and flip half way through
Should be golden brown when done
Serve with a dijon mustard dipping sauce and enjoy!
Nutritional Yeast –
A great altnerative to getting a cheesy flavor minus the dairy! It is also a great vegan option to get a complete protein source (contains all 9 amino acids) in (granted you must eat a good deal of it but still!)
It is also loaded with antioxidants and trace minerals as well as b vitamins.
Cassava Flour –
Cassava flour is something that is great to use for those looking to avoid grains, gluten and nuts as well as a good form of insoluble fibre. It is great for the digestive tract and can help reduce inflammation.
It tastes great and is also easy to use.
** I may receive a commission on links on this page**
by Candice Scott | Jan 13, 2020 | Lifestyle, Motivation
Accountability is showing up.
It’s a means of being consistent, slaying resistance, and doing what is best for you and believing in yourself enough to do so.
We all want to be accountable in all areas of our life. Yet we struggle in some but not so much the others.
The answer: Priorities
It all circles back to what is most important to you (even if you do not realize it). If work is your priority then you will put other things on the back-burner to make sure it gets done. If losing weight is, then it gets top priority on the to do list. If your friends are (this is probably more so in college or highschool) but they would be top of the priority list in ways like hanging out or getting dinner, going on trips etc.
The problem is when we put all our eggs in one basket so to speak, the other areas of our life get less focus and therefore we don’t grow or better ourselves within them.
Making each area within our life somewhat equal if you will (meaning Professional Life, Family Life (relationships), Health and Wellness, Financial Life and Spirituality (believing and having faith in something whatever it may be) will only make us stronger all over.
Stop and think about this- when you have your relationships, your relationships are good you tend to good at work too, when your health is good you are more productive, when you feel good or are hopeful for something you get more done and focus on the good stuff. Am I right? Of course I am!
This is why ACCOUNTABILITY matters so much. If you can hold yourself accountable in each area then you are guaranteed for success in 2020.
I have five different ways to help you get accountable in each of these areas. You can find one of these that works for you and apply it in each area of your life (or maybe just the ones that need work) OR you can use them all. Whatever suits you best.
TOP 5 HACKS –
1- Find an Accountability Partner
- This can be someone or a group or even a program. Something that is going to keep you showing up. It could also mean spending money on someone like a coach or trainer, or a new program to make you use it. When you know someone is waiting for you, or you took a chunk out of your bank account for it, that can compel you to keep showing up. You can join mine – its free!! See below.
2- Focus on one thing to do each week and then add in small to do steps each day to make sure it gets done.
- For example – Say you are trying to save $125 this week (your big goal is to save $500 a month). So you start with doing a budget seeing where you can save money. Then on top of that add any spare change or cash to a box or jar each day. Then take the money you would’ve spent eating out and put it towards it. You could sell something you do not need to go towards it. You could stay overtime at work or do something to make some extra cash. Breaking it down to a daily to do is so much easier to accomplish than just saying I need to save $125 this week.
3- Figure out your why for each goal in each area and keep it front of you. Need more on this? Check out my last blog on your WHY.
- What drives you?? What is the real reason to your big goals. Your goal for wellness is to lose 10 lbs. Why is that? Is it to be able to move better, to decrease your risk for disease? That would be your WHY.
4- Make a big list of about 20-30 things you enjoy doing for YOU, Think self care (like read a book, take a bath, go for a walk, deep breathing, take a cooking class etc).
- EVERY day do atleast 2 of these things. The reason is when you are doing things you enjoy daily you are happier, when you are happier you make smarter choices.
5- Kick resistance -Start noticing when you are resisting doing important things throughout the day
- An example – First thing in the am. Get up when your alarm goes off. Don’t hit snooze.
- Getting on top of resistance and recognizing it and pushing through to be more accountable will only help you decrease stress on yourself, you will see more things happen and you will begin to recognize when you are more prone to resistance and try to bypass it
Being accountable can help us in more ways than we recognize. Small little changes can lead to big results over time. Some of those hacks may not make sense to you now but if you start implementing them now, you will see a big difference in a few months I guarantee it (if you stay accountable that is 😉 )
Learn more about how I can help – HERE.
Join my FREE Facebook Accountability Group – HERE
by Candice Scott | Jan 1, 2020 | Lifestyle, Motivation
New year….new you….. That is a terrible quote/saying.
Do you agree?
Let me explain- you are you for a reason, I am me for a reason. We do not need to try to be something we are not. We need to work on our strengths and improve our weaknesses to be a better version of us. Not a better version of something we are not or think we should be because of society. That is a recipe for unhappiness.
The new year can totally mean improvements though.
The biggest factor in becoming better versions of ourselves is determining our goals or desires for 2020, and then, stopping and thinking what the driving force behind those are. Aka… Your WHY.
You see each of us has desires and things we want. We could want to lose weight, to become debt free, to be stronger, to get a new job or promotion. BUT behind each of those things is a driving force making us want them. Something deeper.
When we figure out what that is, and focus on doing things surrounding that. THAT is when we start succeeding and reaching goals. Not because we have a step by step plant to get there, but because we make small steps that make us feel better, gain confidence in that area and in that process we are able to keep working towards our overall big goals because we do not give up. We grow in the process.
Most goals are not reached because we get frustrated when we do not do one thing right, or two… but when we get frustrated and just give up it does nothing for us. We typically do this because we are ONLY thinking about the weightloss or that promotion. When we think of WHY we want those things and focus on that instead, we tend to keep going.
Here is an example:
The WHY behind it
- “To be able to play with your grandkids and not get out of breath and decrease risk of health problems”.
- You start by going for a walk 10 minutes a day because you know you 1- enjoy it, 2- you get some self care or you time, 3- it is making you healthier. (if you miss a day because you enjoy it you will go back to it the next day you can and keep moving forward with that habbit)
- As you keep the walks going you eventually bump the time up, and then decide to do a little more and add in strength or resistance training with a group or trainer.
- You then decide to make smarter choices with food because you recognize your progress in the other area after a few weeks, and start adding in more whole foods more days than not during the week.
- You are building your own confidence by doing something you love or enjoy and as a result it is keeping you showing up. You are focusing on doing something good for you to help you move and feel better….. and as a result you lose weight.
- You are focusing on your WHY and that establishes better habits because you relate it to your wellbeing and happiness.
- Decreasing stress WHILE working towards a goal is a winning situation no matter how you look at it.
- Less stress – less inflammation – feel better – lose weight.
To recap- you need to figure out your why. Your why is what is the deeper meaning behind the big goals you want to achieve. Start with the goal then work backwards. Focus on doing things that keep you focused on your why and the goal will come to fruition.
I suggest taking one major thing in each area of your life –
Health, Professional, Education, Relationships, Spirituality (what ever that might be), Physical, Mental. Have one goal for each, and then work on the why for each. Some may overlap and thats ok. The less you have to focus on the better.
Write down your why and keep it around you, set reminders on your phone, stay focused and atleast set a reminder to reevaluate each month.
If you need help with this my quarterly goal setting printable may help. It does just the thing I am speaking of in working backwards, Check it out – Quarterly Printable
by Candice Scott | Dec 11, 2019 | Lifestyle
Short- Sweet and To the Point- Christmas and holiday gift buying (if you are like me and gifts are NOT your love language) then it can be hard!! One thing I am good at though…… getting health and wellness gifts 🙂
I complied a list of some of the best for this year so if you have someone in your life that is a fitness, health and wellness fanatic hopefully these help make your gift buying a little easier.
You will find everything from smart watches to clothing to supplements below. Enjoy 🙂
Top 20 Fitness and Health Gifts for 2019
1- Apple Watch – https://amzn.to/38fTJIZ
- You can make calls, listen to podcasts, get up to the minute heart rate data, ECG data, its waterproof, track workouts, and MANY MANY other things. This is the newest version but I have a 4 and it is something I really cannot live without now.
- For those who are anti apple…… (my husband) then I recommend The Galaxy Smart Watch https://amzn.to/2OSVfsR
2- Sonic Handheld Percussion MassageGun – https://amzn.to/345G8AG
- This is the new way to release muscle tension and get rid of knots and other stiffness post workout and from daily life stresses. I promise the pain hurts so good and no foam roller is going to get you this good.
– I love a good back and neck massage. This adds heat to the mix too to help relax the muscles. Releasing tension and stress and implementing more recovery into ALL of our lives is something we ALL need more of. I definitely recommend this.
- Stay hydrated! Keeping a water bottle on hand that is NOT plastic and WILL keep your water at the temperature you want is a WIN. These are great as they contain a large amount without being bulky and over bearing for day to day use.
- Not sure if I really need to elaborate here. If you know me you KNOW I love my Liquid IV and use it DAILY. It really helps get hydration to the cells in a more efficient way than other hydration drinks. It also is not loaded with sugars and fake ingredients like some are. You can feel good about what you are adding to your water. No matter if you are just drinking it day to day for health, post a little bit too many drinks, or if you are sick this stuff is my JAM 🙂
6- Collagen Peptides – https://amzn.to/2PrhCoi
- Collagen is something we all should be adding into our diets. I believe this for reason of not only gut support but skin elasticity and helping it stay plump if you will. It also helps with joint health. I have been using this brand for a long time and love their business and ingredient profile. If you are looking for something for someone who could benefit from this then give them a try!
- Truth – this is on my list this year. My husband is about ready to throw my other one out the window as it has gotten old and LOUD. Ninja brand has a great reputation and is proven to be of great quality for the price. If you or whom ever you are looking for is into smoothies or juices or cooking then this is a GREAT option.
- You may be wondering why I included this with some what throwing it under the bus with the hypervolt option at #2….. but I get it, that hypervolt aint cheap and if you are looking for something more affordable for recovery then this is your best option. This is a great quality and will get the job done for now ;).
- For the yoga or fitness girl in your life. These are super cute, flattering AND comfy!
- Take this from class or the gym to out on the town. These are definitely in this season love them!
Black and Gold Nikes
- These are some of my favorite nikes for running as I always need more support with my high arches. Shop these or any others here and save at checkout!
12- Exfoliating Sugar Cubes – https://amzn.to/38nPk6T
- I fell in love with these and the smell. They are great for the winter and when you are someone who sweats alot and needs to take care of their skin then these are great!
- For the yogi in your life. This is a great quality and fan fave from all the yogi’s I know 🙂
14- Foot massager – https://amzn.to/2Yw4Hp6
- Not going to lie I fell in LOVE with this thing when I got to use one a few months ago. It feels like a legit amazing foot massage and you don’t have to worry about the weird
15- Fitness Bag- https://amzn.to/2Pjvz7A
- Cute and stylish- ya gotta put your stuff somewhere right?? 🙂
16 – Headphones- https://amzn.to/38aeaHi
- Favorites and they stay put! Bose is a name you CAN trust!
17- Sweat bands – https://amzn.to/367ZExS
– These are super cute and come in a pack of 8 so your fitness lover can have multiple options. They don’t slip and don’t dig into your scalp either! #Win
18- Socks – https://amzn.to/369qaqm
– Fact – if you workout then you ALWAYS need to socks. No slip and no show are the way to go!
- This is my DAILY and favorite all natural brand. They have no aluminum or harsh chemicals and they WORK! We know the studies out now about deoderant so use the good stuff! Definitely recommend :).
20- Vegan Protein Powder – https://track.equilibriumnutrition.com/SHie
– I use this stuff EVERY DAY in my smoothies. Not only is it loaded with vegan protein but also ALL your daily vitamins and minerals.
And there you have it! My top picks for 2019! I hope they help and have a VERY Happy Holiday Season!!
Stay in the know! – Sign up HERE –
Disclaimer : the products above may provide me with small commissions for sales.